[arch-general] kernel 2.6.37 BKL

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 6 02:04:40 EST 2011

On 6 January 2011 09:38, Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/1/5 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
>> At this point in time leaving it enabled for compatibility in kernel26
>> is fine IMO. Those who need it disabled for specific reasons (the one I
>> can think of is task latency for audio) should already be used to
>> compiling patched kernels, so it wouldn't be a big deal for now.
>
> +1 for patched kernels for audio (including kernel26-rt) in community

* That is still far behind in kernel revision

* The removal of the BKL essentially means no need of a patched kernel
for realtime preemption

* A lot of the realtime preemption code has to be moved into mainline
to utilise the benefit of a lock-free kernel

"Why this matters from my perspective is that with the removal of BKL,
Linux can now become even more real-time in the mainline. as well as
potentially improve performance and control through the kernel."

From: http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/11/linux-2637-kills-the-big-kerne.html

The big word is "can".