[arch-general] (now 4.5.5-1) Re: kde-4.5.4 loads kde3 kicker and background (even with ~/.kde & ~/.kde4 removed)

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jan 10 13:58:34 EST 2011

On 01/09/2011 02:45 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 01/08/2011 04:21 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> Seriously David, I think it's time for you to give up on kde3 already.
>>
>> You can't expect the people on the Arch list to help support old, unsupported,
>> and out of date software.  The more you bring your Arch box up to date the less
>> and less likely it'll be that old, unsupported software will run on it.
>>
>> Why not switch to XFCE or something?  You can still use some KDE(4) apps if you
>> want, without having to be tied down to the whole environment.
>>
>> DR
>
> Thanks DR.
>
> 	I'm not looking for help with kde3. (I know it is dead and not supported and I
> wouldn't bother the list with it) I'm looking for why kde4 is loading the old
> kde3 kicker&  background by default.
>
> 	The issue here has nothing to do with kde3. There is no reason I shouldn't be
> able to leave it installed and still use kde4. Ever since the June 2008 launch
> of kde 4.0.4, it has been widely represented that you can have both kde3 and
> kde4 installed side-by-side and they should not interfere with each other.
> That's why K3 is /opt based with its user config in ~/.kde while K4 is /usr
> based with its user config in ~/.kde4.

Not sure I agree with your reasoning here.  Given that kde3 is
completely dead/unsupported/not-necessarily-even-working at this point,
I don't think that anybody can reliably represent anything about what
should happen if you still have it installed.

I stand by my original (private) email to you:  you're best off to give
up on kde3 already.  Uninstall it and your problems will no doubt go
away.  You can try installing it again when (if) the time comes that
someone makes a reliable set of Trinity packages for Arch.  Until that
time, you're just making trouble for yourself.  And again, I don't see
how anybody here on the Arch list can (or should) help you with bugs
that are arising from this configuration.

DR