[arch-general] root on NFS and archlinux init scripts

Thomas Bahn Thomas-Bahn at gmx.net
Sat Jan 15 15:49:49 EST 2011

Am Samstag 15 Januar 2011, 21:32:23 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Am 15.01.2011 21:13, schrieb Thomas Bahn:
> > On  shutdown there is a message '/: device is busy'. I found out, that
> > this is originated by the netfs-script in /etc/rc.d. It tries to umount
> > everything on the network. By removing this hook the warning went away.
> > I think this is not as meant. Its not a critical error, only a warning,
> > because of that i would hear you opinion on that.
>
> This is known. If you have ideas, they are welcome.

I will try to fix it properly.

> I only tested whether NFS root works in general, but I never figured out
> all the small problems.
>
> > Additionally i discoverd following piece of code in rc.shutdown:
> >
> > stat_busy "Unmounting Filesystems"
> > /bin/umount -a -r -t noramfs,notmpfs,nosysfs,noproc,nodevtmpfs -O
> > no_netdev stat_done
> >
> > Here, only non-network filesystems are unmounted, right? So, an NFS-root
> > is not unmounted on shutdown. That is not good, i think it should be
> > looked for a solution.
>
> You cannot unmount the root file system. It should remount it read-only
> at a later stage though.

Ok, i did not know this. I assumed it will be unmounted because otherwise
there will be an filesystem check on next start.

> I don't think umounting is NFS even necessary, is there a problem when
> you don't?
Mh, i do not know.  I thought some caches are written out when unmounting. But
i will google for it ;)

> > What do you think?
> > Would be nice to hear from you.
>
> I'll accept any improvements in that area, but I never used NFS root
> with Arch for more than basic testing.
How i can contribute to the initscripts? Should i mail an patch to this list?