[arch-general] Ye Olde Package Manager

solsTiCe d'Hiver solstice.dhiver at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 10:16:27 EST 2011

Le dimanche 16 janvier 2011 à 20:52 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee a écrit :
> For a database which is necessarily more complicated, the whole
> database may be a write-off.

Database are more complicated and also more sophisticated. With
mechanism to prevent losing data if corruption of file.

So I would say, there are at the same level if not better than a tar
file.

You failed to mention than tar file are always compressed so this adds a
layer of failure.

I just picked up /var/lib/pacman/extra.tar.gz and changes a few bytes
here and there with hexedit and I can only retrieve 15 directory
starting with 'a'. so that's pretty bad, I would say.