[arch-general] xfce4's terminal does not understand unicode/utf8?

Armando M. Baratti ambaratti.listas at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 16:40:02 EST 2011

Em 17-01-2011 15:07, Nicolas Bigaouette escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
> I have set LOCALE="fr_CA.utf8" in rc.conf since I installed Arch some years
> ago. Since then, I was using KDE and I could see utf8 characters in the
> terminal. I've switched to Xfce 4.6 some weeks ago but now I get "??" in the
> terminal whenever I use UTF8 characters.
>
> When I type "locale" locally, I get:
> LANG=
> terminal 0.4.5-1 (xfce4)
>
> Thanks!

Hi, Nicolas,

I've been using xfce's terminal for long time, and albeit I'm using now
lxde, I still have xfce (4.6) installed and use terminal regularly.

You could try to export LESSCHARSET="UTF-8" and see if it works.
I have this in a script on /etc/profile.d, but I don't remember if it
was to fix some problem like yours.

Hope it helps,
Armando