[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Upstart

Fidel Viegas sysadmin at kazomosolutions.biz
Wed Jan 19 11:19:53 EST 2011

On 19/01/11 11:29, Laurent Carlier wrote:
> Le mercredi 19 janvier 2011 11:16:41, Jelle van der Waa a écrit :
>> On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 14:50 +0700, Madhur Ahuja wrote:
>>> Ubuntu and Fedora has already embraced it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas when will Arch switch to upstart based booting system ?
>>>
>>> http://upstart.ubuntu.com/
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Madhur
>> For the nex time, first try to implement this feature/thing in AUR and
>> get it documented via the archwiki.
>>
>> If you want the devs to get interested in a new feature, atleast provide
>> them with something to test and with arguments, cause you gave none...
> And "ubuntu use it" is not enough as an argument :-)
>
> ++

Upstart was developed by an Ubuntu developer, hence the inclusion of it
in the Ubuntu distribution. It would obviously be nice to have it in
other distributions as it is in my view better than system V. However,
as a newcomer to Arch and obviously respecting the Arch philosophy, I
must agree with others that just because Ubuntu uses it, it does not
mean that all other distributions must use it. There must be some tried
experiment for the developers to consider it.

I am a long time Ubuntu user, and will not switch to another Desktop
distro very soon. However, I have been looking for an alternative on the
server side, and since I am also a BSD user, I really liked Arch. In
fact I am experimenting virtualization on it, and will probably replace
our current Ubuntu servers with it if it turns out to be more viable.
Would upstart be nice to have? If it performs better in Arch, than yes.
If not, well I a rather have a working System V, than have a non-working
upstart one.

To conclude, "ubuntu use it" is not an enough argument to me.

Regards,

Fidel.