[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Thu Jan 20 15:54:24 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> So here's my question: will a system using systemd still allow
> this, *without* requiring source modifications to each and every
> application (to join a specific cgroup), and *whitout* every
> application requiring real-time or memory locks to be 'registered'
> somewhere ?

i don't believe it would have any ill effect, but would need some testing.

i'm not 100% how it all ties into systemd, but a process being in a
cgroup does not need permission/acceptance/patch from the process;
it's just in it.  cgroups are also hierarchical, so you can have
groups of groups.  there are several cgroup types (cpu/mem/etc) and
each process can be in exactly one of each.

one thing to keep in mind is cgroups are not always about _limiting_.
you can also use them to ensure that certain groups get the resources
or priority they need, ie. your audio apps.  by default, nothing is
restricted/limited, they are only grouped.

C Anthony