[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Sander Jansen s.jansen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 20:09:43 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Yaro Kasear <yaro at marupa.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 20, 2011 06:48:14 pm Sander Jansen wrote:
> (snip)
>>
>> - It's nice you can install it next to sysv-init. This makes it really
>> easy to test without breaking the system.
>
> You can do this? I might try it out. If it works as expected in its stage of
> development, I'll quick being a jerk about it.
>
> Also, how does that work? Do you choose an init at some point?

See the wiki, it's a kernel boot parameter.

>> - If you installed vala 0.10, systemd-git won't build, even though gtk
>> is disabled. This is a bug in the configure script of systemd.
>> Solution would be either to install vala-0.11 or remove vala from your
>> system.
>
> I'm confused by this. Do you mean that vala's conflicting something out of the
> system or just causing a breakage in some way?

There's a bug in configure script. It works fine if you don't have
vala installed, but if you do have it installed it will bark at you if
you have the wrong version.

>> - I guess the initscripts-systemd is listed as an optional dependency
>> of systemd, but I'm not sure how usefull systemd is without it...?
>
> Though I don't 100% know how systemd is, don't all init systems need scripts
> to be useful? I would think that installing systemd's initscripts would be
> important for it to do its work.

Yeah, this is more a packaging issue.

>> - The login console seems to be slightly messed up. I can login, but
>> error/log messages keep being send to the terminal as well.
>
> What are the messages? Is there a bug in the bug tracker about this or is this
> purely an upstream concern?

Just stderr output from the various daemons running. I'm guessing it
goes to the wrong terminal.

>> - I know how I can change the default target on the boot line, but can
>> I set it anywhere else?
>
> Is that how you would run one init system over another?

systemd has a concept of runlevels, but calls them targets. You can
override the default on the kernel boot line.

>> - sshd has listed network.service as a dependency, but what if you use
>> NetworkManager instead?
>
> Would this be cause for a seperate set of daemon scripts just for systemd or
> are there plans to make it work with rc.conf in much the same way SysV does?

systemd has "unit" files that replace the traditional sysv daemon
scripts. They're much shorter and sweeter. The question was related to
whether sshd should list "network" which is arch's /etc/rc.d/network
script as a dependency.

Cheers,

Sander