[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Jan Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:16:34 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:07 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> 3. Parallel booting (staring several daemons parallel at boot time) can
> make booting significantly slower particularly on older and slower
> systems. Serial is quite often a lot faster than parallel. The harddisk
> can only make one read or write access at a time. So there's hardly
> benefit of starting daemons (reading them from the harddisk) parallel.
> Btw., such a parallelization of starting daemons is already possible
> with Arch's and Gentoo's sysv init system. So systemd is not needed for
> that.

Parallel *is* faster because the kernel can put all those reads into
an optimal order. Also, the obvious multiprocessing.

Arch's init system is completely ignorant of dependencies.

> 5. In the same article I read that systemd binds itself to port 80
> instead of starting apache at boottime and starts apache only if a
> request to port 80 comes in. This is not the task of an init system, and
> I have slight security concerns about that. If I tell the init system
> that I want apache being started then I want to have apache started at
> boottime or when I say so and not when systemd thinks it is needed.
> And this way systemd first needs to unbind itself from port 80 and then
> start apache and bind it to port 80. So if I open port 80 in my firewall
> this port is open without a software being bound to it, even if it's
> only a millisecond.

This does not happen. This particular feature of systemd requires a
patched apache, so systemd can hand the port over to the newly started
server.