[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Upstart

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Fri Jan 21 07:13:08 EST 2011

Hi,

Am 20.01.2011 14:18, schrieb Tom Gundersen:>
> Anything in particular you have in mind? We are working towards
> complete backwards compatibility with initscripts, and we are more or
> less there (modulo unknown bugs).

First of all I was talking about systemd as the default init system
within Arch. I don't think this will happen at all. You see the reaction
of the people here, most of them are quite too happy with sysvinit ;).

> Any suggestions about what might make the installation easier? At the
> moment you have to install some packages from AUR and add a line to
> your GRUB file.

I appreciate your work (and anyone who has helped you out a bit), but to
be honest its not the way I would think of an ideal solution :(. Right
now you have to install a few packages from AUR and run it in parallel
with sysvinit. I don't even know if there is a way to remove sysvinit,
but I would guess this wouldn't be easy.

Furthermore units are provided by a single package. I don't think thats
a good way, as I get a whole bunch of units I actually don't need.

All in all, its relatively easy to install systemd, because of the work
you and others have done, but it doesn't follow the KISS principle at all.

I guess, to make it really affordable it must be declared as official,
so the packages itself contain the units, replacing the sysvinit.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch