[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jan 21 08:19:25 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Sander Jansen <s.jansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I installed it today and tried it out.  I still have to play with
> it some more.  Some initial impressions:

Thanks for the comments!

> - If you installed vala 0.10, systemd-git won't build, even though gtk
> is disabled. This is a bug in the configure script of systemd.
> Solution would be either to install vala-0.11 or remove vala from your
> system.

This is correct, and David Reisner (who is the maintainer of all the
systemd packages) just submitted a patch upstream to fix it.

> - I guess the initscripts-systemd is listed as an optional dependency
> of systemd, but I'm not sure how usefull systemd is without it...?

initscripts-systemd is needed if you want to regain all (ok, most) of
the functionality of the Arch initscripts. However, if you don't care
about all of that and only want a vanilla systemd setup then you
should be happy with just installing the systemd package.

> - The login console seems to be slightly messed up. I can login, but
> error/log messages keep being send to the terminal as well.

This is a known error, I added it to the FAQ
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#FAQ>. In short, this is
due to lack of systemd support in syslog-ng. This will most probably
be fixed soon (I think I read about someone working on this). For
completeness: syslog-ng is one of three daemons (besides dbus and
udev) that need special systemd patches to work nicely. rsyslog has
this already and I believe the other major syslog implementations will
get it soon (if it is accepted upstream...).

> - I know how I can change the default target on the boot line, but can
> I set it anywhere else?

Yes. Added to the FAQ. You make a symlink from /etc/systemd/system/ to
your desired target.

> - sshd has listed network.service as a dependency, but what if you use
> NetworkManager instead?

Good point. I pushed a fix to my private repo
<https://github.com/teg/systemd-arch-units/commit/3e1e735ba4b3a36df27717755d9f7610c39b0573>,
it should make it into the AUR package soon (if it is correct).

Cheers,

Tom