[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Fri Jan 21 10:53:51 EST 2011

On Friday, January 21, 2011 07:43:55 am Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:
(snip)

> And as other people said – I'm afraid of systemd even more because it
> was written by the same person as Pulse Audio was. PA didn't work very
> well for quite a long time. I'm not going to argue about that (it's
> just my personal opinion and none of you will change it), but I just
> don't believe someone who wrote a piece of crap which took several
> years to become generally usable will suddenly write something so
> delightful so it can be used as a replacement of one of the most
> tested and most established things in Unix/Linux world.

(snip)

That was my point. I have had far too many negative experiences with Pulse
Audio, Avahi, etc, for me to completely trust systemd when we already have
something that works fine, causes next to no problems, and all for a couple of
features I don't really see us needing as being part of a default system (Not
everyone uses RAID/LVM/Encryption. In fact, I don't even think most Arch users
use it, so I doubly see no point in this.). systemd could maybe go into
[extra], but being put into [core] as a part of base, even as something
running in parrallel with SysV init, I just don't get it.