[arch-general] GPT slower than MBR, although both are properly aligned?

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Sat Jan 22 15:14:17 EST 2011

Hi again,

well after looking at these numbers once again, I've tried the only
thing left to do, which was to get the second partition ended in both
partition schemes equally, which was 31277055.

Although I loose more space at the end now, I get full speed on both
partitions.

So, it seems that not only the starting sectors have to be aligned, but
also the ending ones, or at least the ending one of the last partition.

It's just quite strange that it has worked with MBR so well, as 31277231
+ 1 isn't a multiple of 2048?

Therefore it must be something inside of the controller, which is
responsible for the bad result. As already said I'm using a Kingston
S100 (quite new), can anyone confirm this (either on this SSD, or on any
other)?

If this is a general issue the partition programs have to be updated
once again ;). I'm waiting for any response before submitting this upstream.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch