[arch-general] GPT slower than MBR, although both are properly aligned?

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Sat Jan 22 17:49:32 EST 2011

Hi,

Am 22.01.2011 23:29, schrieb Mauro Santos:
> It is the writes to disk that are affected if they are not aligned to
> the flash sectors so I guess there is something else going on there.

No, you are right, for SSDs the alignment is only important for writing,
as whole blocks of "sectors" get erased and have to be rewritten. At
least I've read that somewhere.

However, this doesn't explain my weird results, because hdparm -tT
shouldn't write anything to the disk, should it?

As I got it encrypted and lvm set on top of that with full speed, it
seems that all is right so far, but this whole alignment stuff isn't as
easy as it should be :(.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch