[arch-general] Question about automated builder

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 27 13:24:42 EST 2011

On 28 January 2011 01:36, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been passively working on a similar project called quarters, but I
> must admit that my motivation is somewhat low not knowing if the project is
> in demand. So here is my question, do we think that something like this
> would be a benefit to Arch? Is this the type of project that should merit my
> attention?

You have my personal full support.

Does this Koji allow people to upload their own .spec/.src packages
and offer them a build? I'm thinking something like that for quarters
would be good. We can separate the building into 3 categories:

== Distribution ==
This is where devs and TUs connect. If you can work out some kind of
integration, it will be totally seamless. Subversion hooks can trigger
the builds, which then are placed in the respective home folders in
gerolde/sigurd. They can be auto uploaded with dbscripts as well but I
don't know if that's a good idea, mainly because there needs to be
inspection (namcap and other habits) before the binary gets served
across the mirrors.

== Projects ==
Any third-party packaging initiative can hook up to the system, and in
turn get their binaries cooked. No-one is responsible for bad
packages.

== Community ==
Users submit a PKGBUILD and in turn can download a Pacman package.
No-one is responsible for bad packages.