[arch-general] Question about automated builder

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Fri Jan 28 07:24:41 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 12:34 -0700, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > trigger

> > in

> > security
> > easily.

> > > Honestly, a build system could check AUR packages for cleanliness and
> > make a
> > > binary repo of working clan packages?
> > >
> > > We have been discussing this in the TU chat, and there is a lot of
> > > excitement about it, I am going to post some degign docs on the wiki here
> > in
> > > a few days (give me some time to put it together :) ) and then we can
> > have a
> > > free for all on how we want this to work.
> > >
> > > In the meantime, keep throwing ideas at me so I can work them into the
> > > design!
> > >
> > > Thanks again for the feedback!
> > >
> > > -Thomas S Hatch
> > >

> > Hey, as I said in the irc, I also have given my full support for this.
> > I am willing to work on this also.
> >
> > I see a lot of potential especially in the aur portion of this system.
> > Mainly because it would guarantee that pkgs in the aur are "correct"
> > in the sense that they have correct dependencies, makedependencies and
> > proper variables (no $startdir) and that then can be built in a clean
> > chroot.
> >
> > Also, just to reiterate what I've said to Thomas Hatch, I have
> > implemented an aur clean chroot build system that works recursively:
> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=111366
> >

> Yes, aurtools will prove to be a great asset for the builder.
>
> FYI, I don't think I mentioned this, so far I have been calling the builder
> quarters, since we all know that in the arcade quarters are what really
> feeds pacman!
>
> My project is on google code (I will be moving it to github so that making
> it official will be easier) and you are welcome to look it over and look at
> me preliminary design doc.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/quarters/
>
> Keep in mind, what is on google code will change dramatically based on your
> input!
>
> With that all said, much of whats there will be replaced!

Hmmm just read all the mails and yes i am interested ;)

except the idea of uploading to AUR and then building it, seems like a
waste of resources.

The idea of an automatic build robot for the repos is much more
interesting,  and for me it only seems interesting if you're doing a big
rebuild. Or would you like the idea of scp src.tar.gz to your
~/autobuild on pkgbuild.com or any other build server.

Or massive rebuilds based on libs where you put a new perl/whatever in a
buildchroot and just upload your source packages and let them query then
put the output / packages build on some webpage.

So before coding get's done i am interested in the documents, design
etc. then I would love to help out ;)
--
Jelle van der Waa