[arch-general] Frequency of abs updates, would increasing frequency cost much?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 31 04:18:30 EST 2011

Am 31.01.2011 07:27, schrieb Ng Oon-Ee:
> This is more a general question, I understand abs is updated every 24
> hours. Would more regular updates (say, every 1 hour or so) be better?

A bit off-topic: You don't have to use ABS if you don't need a complete
tree.

For a single package:

svn co svn://svn.archlinux.org/packages/$pkgname/trunk
or
svn co svn://svn.archlinux.org/packages/$pkgname/repos/testing-i686
or similar. Replace 'packages' with 'community' for community and
multilib packages.
This gives direct access to the subversion tree, so it is instant on
updates. However, if people start trying to checkout the complete tree,
we will shut it down, as subversion is incredibly inefficient.

You can also pull the git tree (see [1]), which is updated every two
hours, if you need the complete tree.

[1] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/