[arch-general] The need for /lib64 - testing please

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 1 00:48:42 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I was looking at the /lib64 folder and wondering what it is really
needed for...  It just seems clutter to me on a pure x86_64 system (or
even with a multilib in lib32 folders like we have). As far as I can
tell, most things are perfectly fine without that folder and its two
symlinks.

I would like some help testing removing this so I can get an idea of
what issues people run into.  There is bound to be some software that
makes assumptions about /lib64 in its installation and I would like to
know (a) how widespread that issue is and (b) how hard it is to work around.

If you want to try it out, just remove the /lib64 folder (after making
sure it only has symlinks to ld-2.13.so and ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 in it.
Run your system as usual for a while and report any issues you come across.

Thanks,
Allan