[arch-general] X cursor problem on new install

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 13:46:28 EDT 2011

Guillaume Brunerie said the following at 07/04/2011 11:01 AM :
> 2011/7/4 D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>
>
>> I just installed arch for the first time (trying it out since I am unhappy
>> with the state of Kubuntu). I have, I think, followed the installation
>> instructions carefully. Everything seemed OK until I tried to run X.
>>
>> The cursor is offset from where it should be. If I move the mouse to the
>> right, the cursor stops about 2/3 of the way across the screen and won't go
>> any farther. If I move the mouse to the left, the cursor disappears off the
>> left hand side of the screen and reappears on the right hand side. It stops
>> moving to the left a short distance from the right border on the screen.
>>
>> The display of windows on the screen looks fine; it's just the cursor that
>> seems to be wrong.
>>
>> 1. I have tried two mice; both behave the same way.
>> 2. I used wgetpaste as instructed at
>>  wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Graphical_User_Interface<http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide#Graphical_User_Interface>
>> :
>>    ~/.xinitrc does not exist
>>    /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist
>>    /var/log/Xorg.0.log is at paste.pocoo.org/show/428974
>>    /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old is at paste.pocoo.org/show/428976
>>
>> Obviously, I need to get this resolved before proceeding any further with
>> installing a desktop environment.
>>

> It seems you have an Intel graphics card and that the driver does not want
> to start.
>
> Have you read the page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel ?
> In particular you need to install the package xf86-video-intel and you need
> to enable KMS to run X.

Yes, I have read that page. I don't know what part of it you are suggesting
is important and which I have failed to follow.

1. xf86-video-intel *is* installed.

2. That page says "KMS is supported by Intel chipsets that use the i915 DRM
driver and is now enabled by default as of kernel v2.6.32". Since the
current arch kernel is 2.6.39, then it follows that KMS is already enabled.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR