[arch-general] The OpenCL ICD problem

Ionut Biru ibiru at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 7 12:34:42 EDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 05:46 PM, Nicolas Bigaouette wrote:

<snip>

>   There might be just one right now, but OpenCL standard says many different
> implementation should be able to install side by side, and the choice
> between them is taken by the ICD loader.

OKKKKKKK
after talking with Lukas i now have an idea about what you guys talking
about.

Right now, what can i do is to take care about nvidia's opencl
implementation and loader.

What I understand from Nicolas is that we can use any loader, either
form nvidia, ati, intel. It will work with any implementation.

My propose is to split opencl loader and implementation out from
nvidia-utils like this:

libcl - containing /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so*. This can be easy replaced
with an opensource loader once is available in mesa or other that is better.
libcl-nvidia - depending on libcl containing
/etc/OpenCL/vendors/nvidia.icd and libcuda.so and maybe nvidia
module(need confirmation)

for you guys:
libcl-intel - depending on libcl
libcl-amd - idem