[arch-general] gnome2.32

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:17:46 EDT 2011

> What's wrong with Gnome 3 in fallback mode? Have I missed something?

in fallback mode:
does not have icons in the desktop,
the panel is not the same, the mouse right click does not work
there are no applets.
Nautilus is a stand alone program and not use the desktop  any more
There are several keyboard commands that end users are not able to use
as they are trained to use only the mouse.

For a skilled computer wizard, gnome3 is good, fast... but is is
useless for an end user.

That is the reasons I setup an old  gnome (2.32) repository,
and in the future will move users to xfce4.

Gnome will loose a lot of users, and will be restrict to "wizards
computer gurus"  (about 1% of the users...)
How many end users that uses LInux, are using Kde4??  here in my country
the few notebooks
sold with Linux are using Kde3, and or gnome 2.32...

Please note that "end users" are:
second grade studends of: psicology, medicine, sociology,... (not a
technitian)
Nurses, Moms (your mom).. music people.., actors....
Normal people (90%) of the population around you... that does not wants
know how computer works, just wants to use the computer, without
learning anything,
gnome 2 does exactly what is suposed to do, make the computer work.

Only in the company I work for (more than 180 users), still uses
gnome2.32, but as I said,
I am working in a Xfce4 desktop for them.   Xfce does not have all the
gnome features, but
it is better than windows XP.

Sergio