[arch-general] Archlinux is for me

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 07:41:32 EDT 2011

> 8-|
> did I just read that you're shipping snapshots of archlinux to users and
> plan on updating them next year???
>
> archlinux may not be the distro for you...

The "users"  just want to use the computer (like an apple user, they
just "use" it)
here a macbook is extremely expensive for them (about 4 times) the price
of
a notebook with celeron or atom.

An atom/celeron/pentium based notebook here you can buy for US$550 and
you pay it about US$50/month
so almost every person can buy one.   (320Gb disk, 1Gb memory, LED
display 13 inches, bluetooth, wifi, camera).
comes with W7 starter kit, or Linux Kde3 based.
example===> http://tinyurl.com/3lbhq3x
In windows it is very slow, with linux(that comes installed) is very
outdated.

Software:

If I install ubuntu, it loads and works out of the box, but it is too
closed. (I use FreeBSD and archlinux is the closest one)

Archlinux have the makepkg that is wonderful, fast, reliable, small,
easy to mantain the repo, the
AUR is a good source of solution, and finally, the people on the
Archlinux list is very skilled, and know what they
are doing/saying... (Thank you all...).

People here uses the computer (95%) for email, messenger, enter
facebook, office package, movie/mp3 downloads.

They want a computer that does not brake when a pen drive is inserted,
they want to use wifi on the class,
they love to start an "ad-hoc"  network using wicd and exchange files
between them,
chat on the messenger, store/download movies and pictures from their
cell phone...
they love the way linux hibernates.. and wakes up days after.. They love
to change users (system-> logout-> change user)

For them, US$50 (the month payment) is a lot of money...  usually 10% of
the family income, with
windows they have to "upgrade" (home start edition is useless), install
"anti-virus".. (more money....) . and eventually
have to pay (US$20) for a "cleanup", or install a very outdated XP
(another US$50)
Online gaming and "stunned" graphics games is a distant dream..

Some of them are using Archlinux for 2 years now without updating... (a
notebook you cannot upgrade the hardware...)
sometimes they mail me for a specific program (music editor...) or out
of space message... make a new user (useradd...)
sometimes they forget how to take a picture of the desktop, or resize a
picture and send via email (using evolution)..
or even create a new evolution account... they than go to a LAN-HOUSE,
or "CYBER" and fire "pacman -Sy" , "pacman -S xxxx"
for this they have to pay about US$10...  they live far away and the
only way of support is email, or chat...

Another thing: they are very proud of using LINUX...  they "feel"  they
are using a "better" solution... and not feel like "another brick on the
wall"

Archlinux is good also or that old "EEEPC" that have only a flash disk
of 4Gb....

Thank you for Listening (your patience) and attention.

Sergio