[arch-general] Archlinux is for me

rafael ff1 rafael.f.f1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 08:55:43 EDT 2011

2011/7/9 Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org>:
> On 07/09/2011 02:41 PM, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:
>>

>>> 8-|
>>> did I just read that you're shipping snapshots of archlinux to users and
>>> plan on updating them next year???
>>>
>>> archlinux may not be the distro for you...
>>
>> The "users"  just want to use the computer (like an apple user, they
>> just "use" it)
>> here a macbook is extremely expensive for them (about 4 times) the price
>> of
>> a notebook with celeron or atom.
>>
>> An atom/celeron/pentium based notebook here you can buy for US$550 and
>> you pay it about US$50/month
>> so almost every person can buy one.   (320Gb disk, 1Gb memory, LED
>> display 13 inches, bluetooth, wifi, camera).
>> comes with W7 starter kit, or Linux Kde3 based.
>> example===>  http://tinyurl.com/3lbhq3x
>> In windows it is very slow, with linux(that comes installed) is very
>> outdated.
>>
>> Software:
>>
>> If I install ubuntu, it loads and works out of the box, but it is too
>> closed. (I use FreeBSD and archlinux is the closest one)
>>
>> Archlinux have the makepkg that is wonderful, fast, reliable, small,
>> easy to mantain the repo, the
>> AUR is a good source of solution, and finally, the people on the
>> Archlinux list is very skilled, and know what they
>> are doing/saying... (Thank you all...).
>>
>> People here uses the computer (95%) for email, messenger, enter
>> facebook, office package, movie/mp3 downloads.
>>
>> They want a computer that does not brake when a pen drive is inserted,
>> they want to use wifi on the class,
>> they love to start an "ad-hoc"  network using wicd and exchange files
>> between them,
>> chat on the messenger, store/download movies and pictures from their
>> cell phone...
>> they love the way linux hibernates.. and wakes up days after.. They love
>> to change users (system->  logout->  change user)
>>
>> For them, US$50 (the month payment) is a lot of money...  usually 10% of
>> the family income, with
>> windows they have to "upgrade" (home start edition is useless), install
>> "anti-virus".. (more money....) . and eventually
>> have to pay (US$20) for a "cleanup", or install a very outdated XP
>> (another US$50)
>> Online gaming and "stunned" graphics games is a distant dream..
>>
>> Some of them are using Archlinux for 2 years now without updating... (a
>> notebook you cannot upgrade the hardware...)
>> sometimes they mail me for a specific program (music editor...) or out
>> of space message... make a new user (useradd...)
>> sometimes they forget how to take a picture of the desktop, or resize a
>> picture and send via email (using evolution)..
>> or even create a new evolution account... they than go to a LAN-HOUSE,
>> or "CYBER" and fire "pacman -Sy" , "pacman -S xxxx"
>> for this they have to pay about US$10...  they live far away and the
>> only way of support is email, or chat...

> [...]

+1 to Sergio comments.

Sometimes I talk to people about linux and first find it come to their
mind is "oh, you use that... uhn.. Ubuntu?", like if it was the only
linux distro available - normal thought for Windows-users. Then I show
them Archlinux, this easy and highly customizable linux dristribution,
and some times I convince them to change for it. I've got some success
already. It's  /\archlinux ruling in Brazil! :)

Cheers,

Rafael