[arch-general] howto properly disable sound device pulse/alsa?

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 10 20:44:14 EDT 2011

I think since Gnome 3 / pulseaudio, I've had an annoying system beep when
shutting down. The pcspkr module is not loaded.

I've found that I have the following device:

$ dmesg | grep Beep
[   10.594164] input: HDA Digital PCBeep as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/input/input7

And that the following command will disable the beep:
$ amixer -c0 set Beep 0% mute

How should I go about making this persistent? I think avoiding that device would
be best, can it be done by adding (or disabling) some udev config?

Or, can I somehow make the 0% mute persistant in asound.conf?

Thanks