[arch-general] OK so HARDWARECLOCK="localtime" is "strongly discouraged" BUT???

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 11 11:29:25 EDT 2011

Am 11.07.2011 17:20, schrieb Joe(theWordy)Philbrook:
> Since I multi-boot AND do keep my hardware clock set to local time, I'm a
> little bit concerned by this statement. It gives me two questions.

This is no reason. Especially if you dual-boot, keeping the hardware
clock in UTC is something to make your life so much easier.

> 1) just what "Known" bugs that this could lead to are "UNFIXABLE"???

- Inconsistencies due to switches from/to DST.
- Weird bugs (like in fsck) due to time changing during bootup.
- Complicates travelling and changing time zones.
- Whatever, think of anything involving your system clock, and using
localtime will make it harder.