[arch-general] X cursor problem on new install

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Jul 12 14:46:26 EDT 2011

On 07/11/2011 11:27 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> David Rosenstrauch said the following at 07/11/2011 03:43 PM :
>

>> Hmmm ... your Xorg loading definitely seems to be happening differently
>> from mine.  (See: http://www.darose.net/Xorg.0.log)  I'm not sure why
>> yet.  Perhaps with more info we can figure it out.
>>
>> How are you starting up X?  Using a DM like KDM/GDM/Slim/Qingy?
>
> startx.
>
> I figured that that was the bare-bones minimum, so there was less to go
> wrong :-)
>
>    Doc

Maybe that's somehow the problem.  i.e., maybe some key initialization
is not getting done with startx, which does get done using a DM.

Why don't you try using a lightweight DM to launch your X session
instead, like Slim or Qingy.  I've had good success with both.  (The
Xorg log file that I posted for you came from starting X under Slim.)
Slim might be the better choice than Qingy though, as Slim launches X
immediately (i.e., once you see the Slim splash screen X is running)
whereas the Qingy splash runs under a frame buffer, and doesn't launch X
until you log in.

More details on how to set up Slim here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Slim

... and my Slim .xinitrc is appended below.

HTH,

DR

---

#!/bin/sh

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#

# The following variable defines the session which is started if the
user doesn't explicitly select a session

#DEFAULT_SESSION=twm
#DEFAULT_SESSION=/opt/kde/bin/startkde
#DEFAULT_SESSION=startkde
DEFAULT_SESSION=startxfce4

case $1 in
kde)
         exec ck-launch-session /opt/kde/bin/startkde
         ;;
kde4)
         exec ck-launch-session startkde
         ;;