[arch-general] Content of new text file

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 06:19:55 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 13 Jul 2011 15:00:37 Squall Lionheart wrote:
> When using Dolphin in KDE4 to *Create New > Text File...* the new file is
> not empty, it contains a space and a newline character.

I wonder if that's to do with MIME types?  With a space and a newline, the file
is detected by "file" as ASCII text rather than "empty".  A single newline is
detected as "very short file (no magic)", so probably the space-newline combo
is the shortest file that can be automatically detected as text.

It might be handy to have the option to "Create New => Empty File" though,
although I don't think I've ever needed to do this outside a terminal myself.

Paul