[arch-general] News draft for dropping tcp_wrappers

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Sat Jul 16 21:59:33 EDT 2011

Florian Pritz wrote:
> On 16.07.2011 21:09, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
>> Dan McGee wrote:
>>> Dropping tcp_wrappers support
>>>
>>> Due to upstream not having released a new version since April 1997, we=
>
>>> are dropping `tcp_wrappers` support from all packages and removing the=
>
>>> package from `[core]`. In addition, newer daemons and applications are=
>
>>> inconsistent in their support for libwrap, leading to confusion as to
>>> whether an application supports the library.
>>>
>>> If you currently use `/etc/hosts.allow` or `/etc/hosts.deny` for
>>> security or logging purposes, you will need to adjust accordingly and
>>> use another tool such as `iptables`.
>>>

>> Why has this been announced since it hasnt happened yet?
>> Isn't that the point of news? Announce something thats taken place.
>> But this is still in testing which isnt a news worthy place.
>
> Dan posted this now so tcp_wrapper users have to to prepare before
> things go sideways since their systems might be unprotected when they
> install the updates.

Thanks, i always had the idea that when news are announced people are
going to find the news item  in the next system update even if its
performed 1 min after the announcement. For the rest, theres
arch-dev-public.
Maybe its a good practice announcing things beforehand but i have the
feeling that it wasnt always the case. Probably just a matter of
habit/preference.

Greg
--
()  against html e-mail  |  usenet & email communication netiquette
/\  www.asciiribbon.org  |  www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html