[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] dropping tcp_wrapper support

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jul 17 16:18:34 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 01:56:58PM -0600, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> I mentioned that I consider tcp_wrappers to be a DAC, someone asked me to
> clarify on MAC and DAC systems, so I put up a blog post:
>
> http://red45.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/mac-and-dac-core-security-concepts/

You equate

MAC = whitelist
DAC = blacklist

Used as such they are redundant, you could just say
white/blacklist instead. I've seen other definitions:

MAC: imposed on all applications, they can't opt out
and it doesn't require their support. According to
this, iptables is a MAC even if can be configured
either in whitelist or blacklist style as you show
in your blog.

DAC: voluntary, only applies to those apps that have
been compiled or set up to use it. In this sense
tcp_wrappers is a DAC.

So we reach the same conclusion, but from different
definitions.

Ciao,

--
FA