[arch-general] Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jul 19 12:55:25 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 05:15:46PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> > After a routine upgrade it seems I don't have any sound devices any more.
> >
> > More in detail:
> >
> > * The driver for my card (RME HDSP MADI, snd_hdpsm) is loaded.
> > * aplay -L tells me there is only the 'null' device.
> > * (re)starting /etc/rc.d/alsa doesn't change things.
> > * There is *no* /dev/pcm at all.
> > * /sys/class/sound only has a link to a timer device.
> > * No traces in dmesg or /var/log/messages of anything going wrong.
> >
> > I suspect udev fails to do the right things.
> >
> > * /etc/udev/rules.d is empty
> > * /etc/udev/udev.conf contains only the line
> >  udev_log="err"
> >
> > This is a professional studio and I'm expecting clients tomorrow at 09:00.
>
> You could try udev from testing (I agree that probably udev is the
> culprit, though it has not been updated in core for some time).

But the whole boot system seems to have changed - this machine
boots incredibly fast now (not that it matters, it's rebooted
at most once in a week).

Some new info: I get complaints from udev in /var/log/errors.log
about files not being found in /lib/udev/rules.d. This would explain
things I guess. But when I look in /lib/udev/rules.d those files *do*
exist. So maybe things go a bit *too* fast (or out of order). If that
is the case, what can be done about it ?

I have to do a fresh install on 5 new machines (similar HW) later
this week. I guess they will fail as well...

P.S. I also tried udev .172 from AUR, same result.

--
FA