[arch-general] virtualbox additions package naming

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Jul 19 16:54:42 EDT 2011

Am Tue, 19 Jul 2011 23:16:44 +0300
schrieb Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org>:

> sure, we wanted this name as well but pacman doesn't support
> versioned replaces. Have you followed my discussion with Ray? If not,
> then your message is useless.

I have followed it. But I also told you that it's not a problem in my
opinion if people have to do some manual work for upgrading it once.
Just post an announcement about the changes to the News section of the
website, the mailing lists and/or the wiki.

This is only necessary once.

Nevertheless, do you really need versioned replaces? I mean Arch Linux
is a rolling release distro which contains only one version (the
latest) of each package in the repos. So you can assume that people
always use the most up-to-date versions.

Heiko