[arch-general] Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Jul 20 12:50:32 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:23:47AM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
>
>> Just to be double sure. Did you reboot each time you downgraded
>> something? If not, downgrade all of them at one go, then reboot.
>
> Of course. mkinitcpio -p kernel26 and reboot.
>
>> 1. Now we really need a comparison between your working systems and
>> non-working systems, looking at the differences between hardware and
>> software.
>
> Since both systems worked perfectly until the upgrade yesterday,
> that difference is the set of packages that were upgraded yesterday,
> wich you find in pacman.log.
>
>> Just thinking out loud:
>>
>> A diff with the previous udev yields no difference in
>> 78-sound-card.rules, only an ammendment of our system ruleset.
>>
>> -# SOUND addon modules
>> -SUBSYSTEM=="sound", RUN+="/lib/udev/load-modules.sh snd-pcm-oss"
>> -SUBSYSTEM=="sound", RUN+="/lib/udev/load-modules.sh snd-seq-oss"
>>
>> -# miscellaneous
>> -KERNEL=="rtc|rtc0", GROUP="audio", MODE="0664"
>>
>> And 50-udev-default.rules.
>>
>>  # sound
>> -SUBSYSTEM=="sound",            GROUP="audio"
>> +SUBSYSTEM=="sound",            GROUP="audio", \
>> +  OPTIONS+="static_node=snd/seq", OPTIONS+="static_node=snd/timer"
>>
>> 2. At this point I'd recommend using a Fedora Live medium to test if
>> your sound works there.
>>
>> I'm still unsure whether this is an upstream or local problem. Tom
>> would be a better judge on this, especially regarding the 'old style'
>> boot messages. If it's not the kernel, not alsa, not udev, not init,
>> then I don't know what else it could be (RME card/PCI bus?).
>
> *Two cards* going defective at the same time, and that time coincides
> with an upgrade ? That could only mean that the new system has destroyed
> them :-)

There is something weird going on. You are saying that even if you
downgrade all the packages you upgraded it is still broken (?), this
is decidedly odd.

The strange thing is that initscripts/mkinitcpio/udev could not really
do anything wrong as long as the correct module gets loaded. If I
understood you correctly, that does in fact happen.

Let's have a look at the module. Could you:

"modprobe -rv snd_hdpsm && modprobe -v snd_hdpsm", and then post the
output to the console and any dmesg output (and verify that your
devices are not in /dev/snd)?

Cheers,

Tom