[arch-general] Not a good time for ProAudio work? WAS: Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Calvin Morrison mutantturkey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:27:18 EDT 2011

On 20 July 2011 14:06, Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> All those issues regarding sound cards and lv2 plug-ins right now.
> This all mean it will take time until Ardour3 (stable) come out and
> udev fixes and updates?
>
> I tried to figure out the differences between my fedora and arch
> boxes, I cound not find an easy explanation why the firewire soundcard
> works on fedora and not on arch. I tried different kernels (including
> lts), udevs and everything I could think of, including editing the
> rules.d folder.
>
> Or we can try some kind of concentrated effort to find and fix those
> problems (specially sound card problems) until they hit more users?
>
> Sorry, maybe that's just a couple of us, one or two people. I don't
> really know how many.

It's me too. I am not "pro" audio, but I dabble quite heavily in linux
based audio (I don't think it's quite ready yet for production use)
and I am really excited about ardour3, but right now we are kind of
stuck.

Hardware wise has been really good to me. But I definitely echo your concerns.

Calvin Morrison