[arch-general] Not a good time for ProAudio work? WAS: Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 20 16:12:40 EDT 2011

On 21 July 2011 03:45, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> If you have a pinned down a bit what the problem is, then open a FS,
> if you are still lost feel free to ping me in #archlinux (I'm
> tomegun).

And for a start, determine if the only difference between Fedora and
Arch is some kind of firewire rules [1]. If that is the case, try
place it [1] in /etc/udev/rules.d and see if things work. Remove any
custom chmods on device nodes you might have added before.

However, looking at their tree, they don't seem to provide any such
ruleset. The following quote is from upstream ieee1394 documentation
[2]:

"For example, the Fedora Linux distribution currently contains a
mechanism to add read and write permission for the locally logged in
user to the ACLs of fw* files of some FireWire device types. To this
end, recent udev releases have firewire subsystem rules in the file
70-acl.rules file."

I  have little idea what that refers to.

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-multimedia/ffado.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/60-ffado.rules
[2] https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration#Character_device_files.2C_block_device_files

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10