[arch-general] Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Jul 21 07:23:31 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:21:23PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:

> > [   48.057757] HDSPM: unknown firmware revision cc
> >
> > Clearly the firmware revision hasn't changed... So either it is
> > not read correctly, or the driver has changed.
>
> Where do you get your firmware from? Is it in the kernel26-firmware
> package, or from a third party? Maybe you need to downgrade the
> firmware package to make things work.
>
> Also, could you please verify this with an earlier kernel? The commit
> [0] aborting on unknown firware is recent, so maybe earlier kernels
> give a better error message.

AFAIK the HDSP Madi does not require a firmware download, the firmware
is in an EEPROM on the card (a Xilinx FPGA configuration actually).

The firmware revision is used to identify the card type (MADI, AES,
Raydat, etc.).

Some more news: yesterday when downgrading various packages I only
looked at the output of 'aplay -L' to check if things were OK, not
at /dev/snd.

Today I tried again downgrading the kernel to 2.6.37, to check if
the firmware revision error would occur. It doesn't. And:

* aplay -L still doesn't show any devices,
* but they DO exist in /dev/snd, all those I expect for this card,
* but there is no ALSA sequencer device (/dev/snd/seq).

And the audio does actually work.

Tentative conclusion: the snd_hdspm driver in 2.6.39 is not OK.

Ciao,

--
FA