[arch-general] makepkg and its dependencies, how to create a good build chroot?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Jul 21 17:24:18 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:10:40PM +0200, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 09:59:16PM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
[...]
>> 1. Why does `pacman` (the package) not depend on `findutils` and
>>    `gzip`, when `makepkg` clearly needs both those packages to
>>    function properly?
>
> Because both findutils and gzip are part of the "base" group and
> supposed to be installed on every Arch Linux setup.

Just out of curiosity, does that mean that it's unnecessary to depend
on any of the packages in 'base' then?
And as an extension, is it a really bad idea to remove any of the
packages in 'base'?

>> 2. Are there any other packages I ought to install in a build chroot
>>    besides those I've listed above?
>
> Yeah, you can take the easy way out by just installing everything from
> base (and maybe base-devel if you intend to build stuff and need those
> utilities).

I think I'll take that shortcut :-)

> > 3. Dependencies of packages change over time, so is there a shortcut
> >    to making sure I always create a good build chroot (a group maybe)?
>
> See above.

Thanks for the answers.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
     -- Alan Kay