[arch-general] usb webcam no audio

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Fri Jul 22 11:45:02 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net> wrote:
> On 07/22/2011 12:02 AM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Matthew Monaco<dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to get audio on my webcam for a while. My initial
>>> guess
>>> is that it has to do with all of the udev changes.
>>>
>>> I'm using gnome w/ pulseaudio. The audio properties show the device on
>>> the
>>> input tab, but it doesn't detect any activity.
>>
>> what is in your `Configuration` tab after running `pavucontrol`?
>>
>> i had trouble getting sound working consistently until i realized i
>> had that on the wrong device ... even though it seemed like the
>> "right" choice.
>>
>> C anthony
>
> I have:
>
> RS880 Audio Device [Radion HD 4200]
>        Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output
>
> Hercules Dualpix Exchange
>        Analog Mono Input
>
> Internal Audio
>        Off
>
> when I turn the input volume all the way up in both places, I think I can
> hear something slightly. If I do a Skype test call I hear a lot of white
> noise and some faint tapping if I hit the webcam.
>
> I suppose it's possible that it's actually using the wrong device somehow,
> but there are no other mic's that I know of on this desktop =/ I don't think
> there's one built in to the HDMI monitor.

hmm yeah i don't know a whole lot about it :-(  after enough tinkering
i just got my to work finally and never looked back ... mine had lots
and lots of "profiles" for each device, of which only 1 or 2 worked
correctly (mainly because i didn't have the equipment to support the
others, eg. 5.1/7.1/etc)

only other thing i could suggest, and maybe you already did this, but
make sure your devices aren't muted in `pavucontrol`, have volume (==
input sensitivity for mic IIRC), and make sure appropriate devices are
flagged as the default/fallback -- this is all in `pavucontrol`.

C Anthony