[arch-general] git bisect module against -ARCH kernel

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net
Sat Jul 23 10:56:58 EDT 2011

I'm trying to bisect an issue with the microphone not working on my usb webcam.
See the forum posting [1]. I cloned the Linus' git tree and checked out v2.6.39.
I zcat /proc/config.gz > .config and did a make modules. I did this to get the
symbol table and all that set up correctly.

After that, I did git bisect start v2.6.39 v2.6.38 -- sound/usb
(Everything worked fine in 2.6.38).

Then for each iteration I intended to do make ${MAKEFLAGS} M=sound/usb. This
rebuilds snd-usb-audio.ko just fine, but when I copy it to updates, gzip it, and
run depmod, I cannot load it because modprobe says it's an invalid format.

My only guess is that this has something to do with a version string somewhere,
but I kept assuring it was 2.6.39 in Makefile (no extraversion).

Any other ideas?

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=121607