[arch-general] CD / DVD Drive - Issues and a really sloppy solution

Zanterian zanterian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:40:25 EDT 2011

Hello fellow arch enthusiasts,

I had a friend who wanted me to burn an audio disk for him. What I
thought would have been an easy task turned into a nightmare.

I use Brasero on Gnome 3. Everything I tried would end in disaster, and
nothing would get written.
Then it would give me a log saying

could not find burn:// directory

After looking around, I noticed I don't have a /dev/cd or a /dev/dvd

Finding that strange, I did the command

dmesg | grep ide

with this as the result
[    5.287548] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw
xa/form2 cdda tray

So this is where I made the sloppy solution:
I manually made two symlinks (/dev/cd & /dev/dvd) that point to
/dev/sr0. This gave me back the ability to burn disks.

So my main question is what do I do from here? Is this a bug?
I don't want to have this solution as it was just me writing
educated-guesses-for-links and then trying to burn a disk with  my
fingers crossed.
My arch system is up to date and does not use any of the [testing]
repositories.

Thanks,
- Eric