[arch-general] bad login attempts not written to /var/log/btmp

Simon Perry arch at sanxion.net
Wed Jul 27 07:52:24 EDT 2011

On 27/07/11, Renato wrote:

| no, didn't know it conflicted with lastb. However, stopping it doesn't
| change the situtation, bad logins aren't logged to /var/log/btmp.
|
| Can I configure syslog-ng to report bad login attempts?

Dude, it's not syslog-ng.

Read the man pages, for example "man lastb" says:

NOTES
      The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs
      information in these files if they are present. This is  a  local
      configuration  issue.  If  you  want  the files to be used, they
      can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch
      /var/log/wtmp).

These are also clues (in the same man page):

SEE ALSO
      shutdown(8), login(1), init(8)

--
Simon Perry (aka Pezz)