[arch-general] quiet kernel parameter

Meyithi mail at meyithi.com
Thu Jul 28 12:12:51 EDT 2011

On 28 July 2011 16:55, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Meyithi <mail at meyithi.com> wrote:
> > Does anybody know the difference between the quiet kernel parameter and
> > loglevel=4 parameter?
> >
> > All of the info I can find states that they should be identical, and
> > /proc/sys/kernel/printk is identical.
>
> They should be identical. Just look at the code:
> <
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=blob;f=init/main.c;h=d7211faed2adfb295caf46bbb9c70835f622eabe;hb=HEAD#l201
> >.
> The quiet parameter just sets loglevel=4. Unless I'm missing
> something.
>
> > I am however getting framebuffer
> > corruption during boot when using quiet which doesn't occur when using
> > loglevel=4.
>
> This is very odd. Any more info on this? Screenshots? Can you see a
> difference in dmesg?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Apologies for the format of this post, was supposed to be a draft until I
gathered a bit more info, but I accidentally sent the first message and was
hastened.

Anyway, there is a few things I'm looking into, firstly I'm using
kernel26-ck with syslinux, and I also have intel_agp and i915 in
mkinitcpio.conf for an earlier framebuffer.  Using quiet seems to switch (or
attempt to switch) to framebuffer earlier, my entire screen will go grey,
then switch to black with a white box in the top left which looks to be
640x480 and then the boot messages will overwrite the white box and the
system will commence to boot.  Using loglevel=4, this does not occur.  So
there must be some difference somewhere, and although it's just initial
framebuffer corruption it's fired up my curiosity.

I've got a lot to try in order to pin this down, was just hoping somebody
knew of any differences between quiet and loglevel=4 to save the fiddling.

--
Jason Steadman
http://www.meyithi.com/