[arch-general] virtual memory exhausted

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 18:55:34 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Mauro Santos
<registo.mailling at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you sure you haven't personalized that?
Yes. For a good reason: what little I knew about ulimit (from Gentoo)
was forgotten, and it only came to mind now that I was bitten.

'ulimit -v' says unlimited
> here and I haven't changed that config from arch's default.

OK, I have one system like you and another one with the limits I
posted. I suppose it has to do with the time the systems were
installed.

> 'ulimit -u unlimited' might be a bad idea, if anything goes haywire and
> starts spawning threads it can crash your machine very quickly (think
> fork bomb), even the default value seems to be too much for normal usage.

Agreed. But how is one supposed to know how to choose sane values?

JA