[arch-general] iniitcpio root device check

Dwight Schauer dschauer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 17:35:51 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
>> Alright, I did that, but it is still doing the root device check and
>> dropping into the recovery shell, so I have to press Ctrl-D to
>> continue.
>>
>> >From /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:
>> MODULES="" # I was putting the modules here, now they are in install/9p
>> HOOKS="base udev autodetect 9p filesystems"
>>
>> ----< start /lib/initcpio/hooks/9p >----
>> run_hook () {
>>   modprobe 9p
>>   modprobe 9pnet
>>   modprobe fscache
>>   modprobe virtio
>>   modprobe virtio_ring
>>   modprobe virtio_pci
>>   modprobe 9pnet_virtio
>> }
>
> FYI, you can run:
>
>  modprobe -a 9p 9pnet fscache ..
>
> and save yourself some forks.

Thanks.

>> 9p_mount_handler() {
>>  mount -t 9p -o ro,${rootflags} "$root" "$1"
>> }
>>
>> mount_handler=9p_mount_handler
>> ----< end /lib/initcpio/hooks/9p >----
>>
>> ----< start /lib/initcpio/install/9p >----
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> build() {
>>   MODULES+=" 9p 9pnet fscache virtio virtio_ring virtio_pci 9pnet_virtio"
>> }
>>
>> help() {
>>     cat<<HELPEOF
>> This hook allows a 9p virtual filesystem passthrough to be used
>> as the root filesystem when run qemu KVM.
>> HELPEOF
>> }
>> ----< end /lib/initcpio/install/9p >----
>>
>> It does not seem to matter where I put the 9p hook in the HOOKS string
>> before rebuilding the initcpio images.
>>
>> Dwight
>
> My fault for suggesting a rotten name. You can't start a function name
> with a number.
>
> $ 9p() { echo hi; }
> ash: syntax error: bad function name
>
> Parsing failed on sourcing the hook, and mount_handler was never
> declared. Rename the function to something that ash plays nicely with
> and you should get some joy.
>
> dave

Ok, I renamed "9p_mount_handler" to  "ninep_mount_handler" and updated
mount_handler= accordingly, and rebuild the initcpio images.

Still no joy... :)

I went so far as to rename 9p to ninep in
/lib/initcpio/{install,hooks} and the HOOKS string, and rebuilt the
initcpio images, but that did not help.

Dwight