[arch-general] Was Fwd: [arch-dev-public] [signoff] coreutils-8.12-2, initscripts-2011.06.2-1, net-tools-1.60-15, udev-171-2, yp-tools-2.12-2

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Jun 4 19:04:54 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:44 AM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net> wrote:
>>> and IIRC its not perfect supported on any distro for a variety of reasons.
>>
>> I run several SuSE machines with /usr on a separate partition. Works
>> fine. And right now, Arch should also work.
>
> It is historical and the default disk set up for both FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
> OpenBSD lists security, stability, and filesystem integrity as some of the
> reasons for setting the system up that way. Don't know if it's correct or not
> but that's the reason I set my system up the way I do.

Pushed fix to testing.

We will keep trying to support separate /usr (certainly in
initscripts). As far as I'm aware both udev and systemd themselves
support separate /usr.

However, at least in the case of udev, third party packages might
install udev rules that call binaries in /usr. This will probably
happen before /usr is mounted.

On my system, the packages that install udev rules which will not work
with a separate /usr are: v4l-utils, alsa-utils and usbmuxd.

There might be other ways things break except for through udev rules,
but I'm not aware of any.

Cheers,

Tom