[arch-general] Was Fwd: [arch-dev-public] [signoff] coreutils-8.12-2, initscripts-2011.06.2-1, net-tools-1.60-15, udev-171-2, yp-tools-2.12-2

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Mon Jun 6 00:55:33 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 04.06.2011 23:48, schrieb C Anthony Risinger:
>> Separate /usr is 100% historical AFAICT ... per systemd it's unsupported,
>
> It is historical, yes.
>
>> and IIRC its not perfect supported on any distro for a variety of reasons.
>
> I run several SuSE machines with /usr on a separate partition. Works
> fine. And right now, Arch should also work.

oh for sure ... i only meant that one consensus *seems* to be that
it's mostly non-beneficial/etc., but that's of course only based on
the tiny sliver-of-a-sample i've managed to procure from the interwebs
:-)

... although, tbh, i always thought it seemed pointless from day 1,
but never thought much of it.  i personally like the idea of merging
everything *into* /usr, and letting things fade from /.

per your message Tom, i was referencing this + similar:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

... and meant exactly what you said, i guess i should have been more
clear ... typing on mobile tends to make my responses much more terse
:-)  i think consensus on that front however is "it's unsupported, try
again without"

buuuut that's all irrelevant to this thread, so i'll throw down some
more when someone starts a "why don't we just merge /*bin, /lib*, into
/usr, and maybe even rethink /etc?" thread ;-) ................

C Anthony