[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Mon Jun 6 17:01:42 EDT 2011

On 06/06/2011 09:17 PM, Yaro Kasear wrote:
> On Monday, June 06, 2011 11:34:53 Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Tavian Barnes
>>
>> <tavianator at tavianator.com>  wrote:

>>> I have kernel26-lts installed as a backup kernel, and this is all
>>> that's really necessary for rolling back broken kernel updates.  I've
>>> been bitten by a BTRFS bug once and rolled back with -lts no problem.
>>> -1 from me on keeping multiple kernel versions installed; I really
>>> like that arch doesn't keep 6 old kernels around.
>>>
>>> While we're at it, +1 for calling the kernel package "linux" for version
>>> 3.0.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tavian Barnes
>> Agreed with Tavian Barnes.
>> Also, don't call it "linux30" just call it "linux"
> Or just 'kernel.'
>
> And yes, -1 on multiple kernels. That was one of the more idiotic brain-
> damaged practices of Ubuntu that drove me away in the first place.
I don't see how kernel naming is on topic with this discussion, anyway i
wouldn't see like to see a preserved kernel on archlinux we already have
kernel26-lts and the fallback image.
Keeping more kernels would cost a) more time, b) more bugs on the
tracker and wouldn't in my point of view be the vision of rolling release.
You can always revert back a kernel version via pacman -U or chrooting
into your install.

--
Jelle van der Waa