[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:12:04 EDT 2011

I would really like to the kernel that is being replaced kept as a backup.  If
the latest kernel breaks your hardware, or something else goes wrong, I'd like
to have the option of using the kernel that was just replaced, because it's
known to work.

I wouldn't want more than one old version of the kernel, though.

Also, although the -lts kernel is good for this, it isn't intended to solve
this problem, and isn't always a perfect fit.  For instance, my new laptop has
UEFI-related issues that are only being addressed in the *very* latest
kernels.  I'm not sure -lts would boot for me, but I know that my *current*
kernel boots; seems a pity to throw it out it straight away on upgrade, before
I can test that the new kernel boots OK...

Paul