[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Jun 8 19:04:09 EDT 2011

Am Thu, 9 Jun 2011 06:36:08 +0800
schrieb Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com>:

> Such a patch would also have to copy the modules (which aren't under
> kernel26's 'purview'). For example, nvidia gets upgraded on a major
> version kernel update, the old kernel which has been renamed doesn't
> 'work' graphically anymore.

Just for keeping an old kernel image as a fallback keeping the modules,
too, isn't necessary. The old kernel image is just to get the system
booted to being able to repair the system (downgrading the kernel
package again or whatever). The modules shouldn't be necessary for this.

Nevertheless I would suggest not to keeping an old kernel version when
upgrading the kernel.

I'm using Arch Linux for about 4 years now and before then I was using
Gentoo for about 6 years. I never had one single issue with a kernel
upgrade particularly not such an issue which caused a boot failure.

If this really happens - in the very rare cases - then it's always
possible to boot from a LiveCD.

If someone is really so afraid he can easily install kernel26-lts or
another kernel package and, of course, he definitely shouldn't use the
[testing] repo.

I don't see a real reason for keeping an old kernel image after an
update. Just KISS.

Heiko