[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 09:37:14 EDT 2011

On Thursday 09 June 2011 14:07:45 Yaro Kasear wrote:
> On Thursday, June 09, 2011 05:31:06 Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> > Well, it's happened to me, and it *could* happen to you.  Better to
> > prevent the situation, don't you think?
>
> Again: Purpose of fallback image and lts kernel. Jacking up /boot with
> dozens of old kernels is not a needed or desirable solution.

I don't think that's the case; the purpose of LTS is to provide an extra-
stable kernel that is less likely to break between upgrades (hence "long-term
support").  It might be good to have around for rescue, but that's not the
same as having a last-known-working-configuration kernel.

The fallback initrd is completely irrelevant, because as far as I'm aware,
that only protects against initrd configuration mistakes and unplanned hardware
alterations (e.g. after hardware malfunction).

> Arch development should never be centered around compensating for users'
> crappy hardware. There are ways to "fix" UEFI without annoying the other
> users of Arch with cluttered boot partitions. If you want old kernels that
> badly, use lts or go to a distribution that implements this bad feature.

It's not as though /boot needs to fulfill many other roles...

And would you really label all new hardware "crappy" until it's well
supported?

Paul