[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Fri Jun 10 04:24:56 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:17 AM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:
>>
>> ... though i could very well be missing something obvious, certainly
>> wouldn't be the first time ...
>
> ... after 1/2 implementing this i suddenly realized a painful truth
> that's probably already been voiced ...
>
> the kernel is *long-since upgraded* by the time _any_ hooks run ...
> the original image is gone, the package is gone, all hope is gone,
> fml.  the hook saves the images just fine because they are in the
> process of being created ... but the original kernel image ... not so
> much :-(

... though with the help of the .install script as mentioned earlier,
this could be remedied.

what would be even better is if some kind of generic hook was added to
the install points for the kernel only.  not the same as full blown
pacman hooks, but since kernel is a bit unique anyway i don't think it
would hurt ...

if the .install script sourced a known location, eg.
/etc/pacman/kernel26.hook or something similar, then any of us would
be free to implement backups however we wished.

C Anthony